*We have changed the name of Discovery Retreat because McEachern Memorial UMC has a program called “Discover McEachern” for new members and the last thing we want to do is confuse anyone by have a new program for students with a very similar name. Super simple, we change the name is GLOW Retreat!
Where: McEachern Memorial UMC
When: Saturday, March 25 – Sunday, March 26
Time: Saturday at 1 PM until 1 PM on Sunday
Who: For Middle School students (6th-8th grade) and hosted by High School students (9th-12th grade)
Overnight Arrangements: Middle School students (6th-8th grade) will stay at the church overnight. High School students (9th-12th grade) will stay in host homes based on gender and grade level.
Cost: $30 for all students (6th-12th grade)
Deadline to Register: March 12, 2023 (Registration is closed for this event)
About The Retreat
GLOW Retreat is a 24-hour(ish) retreat for Middle School students (6th-8th grade) that is hosted by the High School students (9th-12th grade). It is like an extended lock-in with a purpose. The retreat runs from Saturday at 1 PM on March 25 until Sunday at 12 PM on March 26. The retreat is all over the church campus (Youth Suite, Higher Ground, Gym, Lula Dobbs, Oaks Hall, and Outdoor Fields) for different events, games, lessons, worship, food, and sleeping areas. We do have a special off-site activity on Saturday afternoon. Speaking of sleeping areas, Middle School students will stay on campus at the church overnight. High School students will go to a host home to sleep (students will be assigned host homes one-week before the retreat). The goal of this retreat is to have High School students invest in the lives of our Middle School students and to encourage them in their faith journey. Friends are more than welcome to attend this event. Please make sure to register for the retreat as soon as possible and not wait until the March 12 deadline. If you have any questions, please contact Moose.
Should my student eat before arriving at the GLOW Retreat?
- Yes, please eat lunch before arriving at 1 PM on Saturday
Can my child attend part of the retreat?
- While students can attend part of the retreat, we HIGHLY RECOMMEND students to stay the whole time. We know that families and youth are busy, but we want to encourage families to make these 24-hours a priority in your student’s faith journey.
Students are allowed to be picked up on Saturday at 3:00 PM and again at 9:45 PM (both pick up times are at Higher Ground).
Students are allowed to be dropped off on Saturday at 7:30 PM in the Chapel (parents are asked to accompany their student for the worship service starting at 7:45 PM).
Students CANNOT be picked up or dropped off before or after these times to help us keep track of all students at the retreat.
- Please click here fill out this form to let us know when your student will be picked up or dropped off if they are not able to attend the whole retreat.
Can my student invite a friend?
- YES! Middle School students are encouraged to bring a friend.
What does the cost of the retreat cover?
- $30 covers all worship material, shirt, food, and off-site activity.
Do the students sit together at the 11 PM worship service or can they sit with their parents?
- Students are asked to sit together as a group one final time during the 11 AM worship service, but we also support our families and if parents wish for their student to sit with them we are okay with that.
Saturday, March 25
1:00 PM – Check-in opens outside of the Gym for all Middle School students
1:00 PM – Hang out time in Gym while students arriving
1:30 PM – Games
2:00 PM – Session 1
3:00 PM – Load buses to off-site activity
3:30 PM – Arrive at off-site activity (Adventure Air Sports, Kennesaw)
5:45 PM – Leave off-site activity
6:00 PM – Arrive at dinner (Big Pie In The Sky, Kennesaw)
7:30 PM – Arrive back at the Church
7:45 PM – Session 2
9:00 PM – Surprise!!
9:45 PM – Boys showers open (15 minutes)
10:00 PM – Girls showers open (30 minutes)
10:00 PM – Bed prep (High School students leave for host homes)
10:30 PM – Lights out
Sunday, March 26
7:30 AM – Wake Up and Pack Up (High School students arrive back at church)
8:00 AM – Breakfast
8:30 AM – Morning Watch
9:00 AM – Service Project #1
9:30 AM – Session 3
10:30 AM – Service Project #2
11:00 AM – Worship Service (seating together)
12:00 PM – Pick-up and head home (from Gym)
12:01 PM – Everybody gone
- Comfortable clothes – (you will be running around and jumping on a trampoline so make sure to dress for this type of activity)
- Coat or jacket
- Shower shoes
- Personal toiletries
- Bible, journal or notebook, pen
- Watch (not a phone)
- Sleeping bag and/or air mattress (students will be sleeping on the floor, air pumps will be provided for each sleeping room)
- A good attitude and an open heart
- Please leave all cell phones at home or in your overnight bag in the sleeping areas